Meeting the needs of the Virginia Peninsula with volunteers just like you!
The reward of being a Volunteer with Community Knights is more than a feeling, it is meaningful connections and friendship-building, in the local community, with people from all walks of life. Most of all we make volunteering FUN! Opportunities to give back to the community, through volunteering with Community Knights, is growing each year because of people just like you.
Each week, Community Knights hosts bingo games in Newport News. The funds raised at these games support our GIFT program. We also have a new program, COACH. This program is in need of volunteer mentors for participants with developmental and/or intellectual disabilities. Each year, our volunteer needs grow and diversify. You’re invited to be a part of the Community Knights making IT happen on the Virginia Peninsula.
GIFT Program Support is centered around Bingo Game FUNdraisers. This includes setting up and prep, as well as volunteering at the bi-weekly game. This is a unique volunteering opportunity happening year around, with multiple time/days available each week. Things you need to know about volunteering for Bingo:
- Bring your comfy shoes and wear your Community Knights t-shirt.
- Your main job no matter where you are volunteering is to help the Bingo Players have fun by having fun yourself!
- You will be working with a team and meeting new people.
Find out more by learning the Top 5 Things About Volunteering @ Bingo.
COACH works to support and include adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities in the community. By pairing individuals with developmental disabilities with a trained COACH Mentor, we provide this population with meaningful support and avenues of participation for new and exciting volunteer opportunities. If you have a passion for helping, mentoring and coaching adults with disabilities in our community, this is a wonderful opportunity.
As a COACH Mentor, you will receive specialized training and backing from our COACH Program Coordinator and Community Partners.
Do you love meeting new people and making new friends? Our Community Engagement volunteering opportunities may be perfect for you. Here are some of the types of opportunities that come up throughout the year:
- Setting up and manning a table at a local event and sharing with people about opportunities within Community Knights (both volunteer and for local 501(c)3s and public school groups)
- Assisting with scheduling promotional events
- Providing feedback to Community Knights’ staff on promotional events and suggestions on how to improve them.
Take a peek behind the scenes at Community Knights and you’ll see a lot going on. From the populations we serve to the non-profits we help, there is an incredible amount of work to do for the Virginia Peninsula. And, we need volunteers to help get it all done. Most of these opportunities involve working with Community Knights’ small, friendly and motivated Staff. Below are some examples of the types of Behind the Scenes help we need:
- Admin Volunteer Activities
- Assisting with basic back office tasks such as data entry and filing
- Running errands
- Moving records in and out of storage areas
- Preparing materials for promotional events
- Assist with inventory
I’m ready to be a volunteer!
Contact our Volunteer Recruiter to find out more and ask questions!