Community Knights periodically has unique employment positions available. We serve the underserved on the Peninsula and need your help to support our mission.
Driver Disability Community Support
Location: Community Knights, Inc., Newport News, VA, USA Employment Type: Part-Time to Full-Time Compensation: $13-16 per hour and some gas compensation. Community Knights Inc is currently looking for a driver for our COACH & READY Programs! Community Knights Inc is focused on supporting non-profits, public schools, and individuals with disabilities on the Virginia Peninsula. We need a reliable driver who can transport volunteers to and from non-profits on the Peninsula, as well as students to work sites. The Driver will be responsible for:
- Transporting individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities to and from non-profits for volunteer shifts & work sites for employment
- Transporting volunteers to and from Bingo Fundraisers
- Documenting transportation routes and mileage on the provided transportation logs
- On some occasions the driver may have some down time between trips, during this time the driver may be asked to make phone calls or do basic data entry for the COACH or READY Program
- Applicants must be at least 21 years old
- Applicants must have a current Driver’s License
- Applicants must have a clean driving record
- Applicants must be able to pass a background check
- Applicants must have safe transportation and car insurance (using own vehicle)
- Prior experience working with individuals with disabilities is preferred but not required
- Attend the Community Knights driver with disabilities awareness training upon hiring
Position Pay and Hours
- This position is an hourly position, the pay is $13-16 per hour
- Exact hours worked will vary with volunteer and work site needs
Most driving shifts currently occur between 9:00AM and 4:00PM. with some evenings as needed. The driver should be available Wednesday Nights – Evenings to provide transportation to Bingo Fundraisers. Weekend work may be required. Both The COACH & READY Programs are rapidly expanding and this estimate is expected to grow over the coming months.
COACH is a program that enables adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities to volunteer in their community by providing the support they need to thrive. We do this by:
- Providing participants with opportunities to learn about available volunteer positions by providing access to virtual tours and Q&A sessions with local non-profits
- Providing virtual and in person social activities for individuals with and without disabilities.
- Developing individual plans for each volunteer to ensure that they find a volunteer position that they enjoy, are successful in, and helps them progress toward personal goals.
- Matching participants with volunteer coaches who work with the participant to master the skills required to volunteer at the location of their choosing. The participant and coach will volunteer together until the participant can confidently volunteer independently
- Raising community awareness of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities by providing training for volunteer coaches and resources for non-profit organizations.
READY is a program that enables High School Students with intellectual and developmental disabilities to work in their community by providing the support they need to gain access and experience. We do this by:
- Developing individual plans for each student to ensure that they find a meaningful work position that they enjoy, are successful in, and helps them progress toward personal goals.
- Matching participants with Skills Trainers who work with the participant to master the skills required to work at the location of their choosing. The student and Skills trainer will work together in the community for an 8 week internship. Both participants are paid wages for their work.
- Help the student build a resume, community contacts, and soft skills necessary for employment.
- Raising community awareness of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities by providing training for Skills Trainers and resources for businesses in the community.
READY Skills Trainer
The READY Skills Trainer will provide employment skills training and management, to high school students with disabilities in a work setting. Students may have intellectual disabilities or related conditions, as well as social, emotional, or behavioral needs. Trainers will provide specialized guidance, direction, and support to provide efficacy for student success during their work experience.
Trainers facilitate person-centered, effective, positive relationships with students using positive approaches that promote self-determination in all areas of life. This position will assist high school students through a 5 to 8 week work experience. There will also be a weekly one-hour in-person group meeting for all Skills Trainers. Skills Trainers will receive disability support training. They will also support CK’s READY Coordinator with other oversight and reporting tasks. This is a part-time position and internships are also available.